Are you on this page because you can’t stand wasps anymore and you don’t really know solution your problems may have?
Then this article is right on point because together we will learn how to keep wasps at bay and I totally assure you that at least one of this methods will work in your case. But I also want to underline the fact that wasps are not that bad, but quite important for environment, as they pollinate, just as bees do, this being essential for our existence as human beings.
It is true that we may be afraid of them, mainly because they are agressive when around people. This is why we should be preoccupied about monitoring the colonies that built nests nearby our homes.
Before revealing you the secrets of getting rid of wasps, please make sure that the bugs you are dealing with right now are truly wasps, as you may be wrong and the treatments will be useless. This is why please check the article “What do wasps look like?”, if you don’t know much about wasps or bugs in general.
Terrific! Now, that we speak the same language, you can follow the steps below that will bring you the desired results and plenty of satisfaction.
What kills WASPS
Here are some wasp killers that will help you get rid of them for good:
- Natural insecticide spray
- Traps & bait
- Boric acid
- WD-40 spray
- Many sorts of insecticides like foams and sprays
How to Kill WASPS
Natural insecticide spray
This kind of spray can be bought, or it can be prepared by you at home, as we will learn a few paragraphs below. Check those recipes and learn to mix some ingredients, creating a spray with great properties.
Make sure that you apply it only in the evening time, as you do not want to disturb or even kill other good bugs as for example the bees nearby your house.
In order to kill wasps with soap or dish detergent, you need to mix it with water and the proportion has to be 2 tablespoons of liquid soap with 3 cups of water. Then spray directly on developing nests and on the wasps, as this mixture kills them instantly, because it produces dehydration.
Another way of killing wasps by using soap is to mix soap and water and place that solution under tree from where you have previously hung some pieces of beef liver
Traps and baits
You can choose to buy a lure trap that will do the job. It needs to be hung nearby a wasp nest and it will attract them inside, then the wasps will die because of the chemicals that initially charmed them with a pleasant smell.
Another trap that is really effective is building a drinking station bait. All you have to do is buy an insecticide powder, as fir example permethrin, that you will mix with very little water to make a paste. Then you will put the mixture in a tray placed towards Sun. Fix a pot full of water in the tray and the wasps will get used to drinking water from the pot. The powder will start being active in about two or three days, killing the wasps who come to drink fresh water from the pot.
This is one of the options it is best to choose when dealing with wasps inside you house, do not be disappointed that the boric acid act slowly, because is highly efficient. Just apply the borax on the nest and you will begin to see the results the day after.
Spray the nest with WD-40 in the evening or night time, because at that time the temperature is lower and the wasps are not too active. After 1h, you can destroy the nest by hitting it down with a broom or something similar. Seal the nest in a bag and leave outside until the next day. All these actions must be done with gloves and adequate clothes, in order to protect yourself
There is a large variety of chemical insecticides that are available in different forms, so that you can choose an aerosol spray, a dust insecticide or even a foam.
Make sure you don’t skip reading the instructions these products come with, as to prevent a disaster. Also, do not your children or pests stay around the place you will apply the product, to avoid putting them in danger.
Moreover, it is very important to cover your body, so use protective clothes, but even if you are protected, don’t ever stay just under the nest when spraying the insecticides.
So, what do you think?
Pretty hard, huh? Are you still so excited to operate by yourself?
Don’t forget that, beside having the option to do the job on your own, you can still hire a professional exterminator.
This option can be sometimes better than DIY tactics, as he has professional products and techniques practiced for some many tines, that he can do with his eyes closed. Though, it is up to you what to choose.
Wasps treatment cost
When it comes to costs, we always tend to prefer the cheaper option, but this may not be an advantage for us each time. Again, we should compare how much would cost hiring a pro vs. how much would cost if we opt for a DIY treatment.
There is no fixed price all over the world among exterminators and it depends a lot on the people you pick, their experience, the gravity of your problem and the location of the nest.
Still, if you need a hint, then we can say that the price can vary between 100 and $400 OR more! The advantage is that you can be sure the job is properly done, while you, your family and/or pets will not be in danger.
DIYs can be a way cheaper alternative, but you have to take the risk that you could be stung or even injured. Nevertheless, the price of such option is very low in comparison with hiring an exterminator and it could cost you between $5 and $80 to use a solution like this.
DIY wasps treatments
Let’s make a list of tools and ingredients you need for making DIY recipes:
you need to mix equal parts of peppermint oil and water in a bowl, but also add some liquid soap, because this makes the mixture stick on the wasps. Now spray the nests and the wasps!
light a fire under the nest and throw in it some peppers, especially cayenne type. This will make wasps die, both because of the unbearable smell given by the burnt peppers and the fumes that suffocates them.
A trick to prevent wasps build a nest in your yard is the following DIY: take a sealable, transparent plastic bag and fill it with water, then throw 5 coins inside it. Then seal the plastic bag and walk around your property with the bag in your hand, but you can also hang all over your yard some of these magic bags.
The wasps are to leave your territory, for sure.
The bucket trap
this a quite simple method, but it will work, if the nest is not in your yard, so your problem is not that big. Take a bucket and put into it some water, sugar, vinegar and just a little bit of dish soap.
The wasps will come to drink water and they will drown. End of story!
Natural ways to get rid of wasps
1. Plant mint, wormwood, eucalyptus and/or citronella in your garden, as the wasps hate these plants.
2. Purchase or even make by yourself a fake nest. This will keep wasps at distance, because they don’t trespass territories that are already taken by an other colony.
3. Pitcher plants are a solution you may prefer. As carnivour plants, they trap the wasps inside, by luring them on their leaves with the scent, the colour and, of course, nectar.
You can grow pitcher plants in pots and use a saucer under the pot, so that the plant can extract as much water as it needs.
4. Another non-pesticide that is recommended for getting rid of wasps is smoke. Light up a fire just under their nests. The wasps will evacuate the nest because of the suffocation, as the smoke invades the nest.
Of course, this is a method that can be applied only outside, because you don’t want to put in danger your family and house, by trying to light fire for a nest placed indoors.
5. Lemon & cloves: you need one lemon, which you will cut into 2 halves. Each half of the lemon has to be filled in with about 10 cloves. Take the two halves and place them in a saucer. After that, the saucer has to be put where the wasps frequent most and they will simply leave your place, because of the scent. You need to make this trick regularly.
6. Drowning the nest
If you are a brave person and have confidence that you can face this problem on your own, try this pretty dangerous method in the night time, as you already know.
- Put your clothes of protection on and act as follows: place a bucket filled with water under the nest, take a big thick cloth bag and make sure it doesn’t have any holes.
- Then put the bag over the bag and tie the top of it with a piece of rope or a string.
- Remove the nest out of the tree or its hanging place, throw the bag with nest inside it into the bucket and use something heavy on the top of it to fix the nest in place.
- Wait until the next morning, when all the wasps will be dead.
How to prevent WASPS
There are some actions you have to do, in order to keep the wasps as far as possible from your home and your beloved garden:
1. make sure that there are no food sources outdoor. In the springtime, the wasps prefer protein sources, so be careful about the meat, while in late summer they tend to be attracted by sweet taste. Aslo, if you have trees, don’t let any fallen fruit to root on the ground.
2. don’t wear sweet perfumes or lotions with strong scent, because this attracts wasps
3. refrain yourself from killing a wasp, when catching it, as its squashed releases a pheromone that incites other wasps.
4. try to not wear bright colours of clothes with floral pattern. You will look like a huge flower, very attractive for wasps, a type of pollinators, as you may know. As for the color, wasps cannot see the red colour, so you can dress red clothes instead of yellow and white, which are the most appealing for them.
5. seal every entrance point in your house that looks like an open invitation for the buzzy wasps.
6. you need to cover the waste bins. Don’t let the garbage exposed for any reason, if you don’t want to invite some wasps to have lunch there.
7. always take care to don’t let your doirs and windows open
8. when the spring comes, it is time for you to check your home and garden for nests, as it will be a lot more easier to get rid of a small colony.
9. make a mixture with of menthol, citronella oil and eucalyptus oil, choosing oil teak as carrier and apply it on timber, to keep wasps at bay.
10. the wasps don’t like light, so you need to put light in the places where wasps previously build nests in your garden.
11. the wasps will be attracted by meat, because they are carnivore. This is why you should cover your meat when barbecuing.
12. when a wasp comes around you, don’t panic and for any reason don’t shoo the wasp. Instead of acting violent, walk away from it with no hurry, since you are not trying to enrage it.
We hope that this is a reliable article for you and that you feel now released, because you have found here so much information that will help you act properly and get rid of wasps for good.